Transport

Tesla’s Record Sales Of Electric Vehicles In China Begins An Era Of EV

Influenced by the improvements in air quality due to worldwide lockdown, the masses are preferring to buy more electric vehicles. Tesla is hitting new record sales in China amid the COVID-19 pandemic, and it reflects the change in the mentality of people regarding electric vehicles.

As per a new report, soon after the withdrawal of lockdown in China, Tesla sold around 25% of total electric cars in the month of March. This is the best selling record of the company in China so far in a single month.

On the other hand, the auto industry sales in China have fallen by 40% amid the COVID-19 pandemic. However, Tesla is somehow outperforming others by a considerable margin.

According to the China Passenger Car Association (CPCA), Tesla made 10,160 electric vehicle deliveries in March. In contrast, Tesla delivered around 3,563 and 3,900 electric cars for January and February in China, respectively.

What Boosted Tesla Electric Vehicle Sales Amid COVID-19 Pandemic?


A number of factors have resulted in a boost in sales for Tesla. However, there’s one thing that stands tall from the rest: it’s the way people have started thinking now.

Venson Automotive Solutions conducted a survey on 200 UK consumers this month.

In the survey, they asked a straightforward question that, “Have the effects of the current COVID-19 lockdown made you change your mind about buying an electric vehicle?”

In response, it turns out that around 45% of people are thinking of buying an electric vehicle after witnessing improvements in air quality due to the lockdown. Another 17% have already decided to buy one which when combined concludes that around 62% of the respondents prefer electric cars.

Though the study was conducted on the people of the UK, we can expect that the numbers would be similar in other parts of the world as well.


If we relate the study to what we observe in China, it seems that a willingness to have a better environment made people switch to electric cars. To support our claim, if we compare the sales record for the last three months, then, in March, there is an increase of more than 260%. This kind of growth requires something extraordinary to change the thinking of masses.

It is an inherent trait of human beings that we don’t believe in something until we see it. As we saw a great effect on the environment by entirely stopping the combustion cars and factories, a world with clean air seems much more than a possibility.

Earth is healing itself; this coronavirus pandemic has proved how beautiful the earth can be and how good the environment can be without the internal combustion cars. However, it’s not the only reason for reduced air pollution. Several other factors like factories being shut down which otherwise would have caused pollution also contribute.

To Top

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This